Re: Issues concerning 10GbE speed standards

Roy,

I interpret your desires/requirements for 10 GbE as follows:

- Payload rate of 9,584,640,000 bps
-  SONET/SDH signaling (to support a subset of the SONET/SDH operations support
functionality)

Is this correct? If correct, is there anything else.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Roy Bynum wrote:

> Walt,
>
> I do not specifically want to add the complexity of all of the existing
> SONET/SDH functionality in 10GbE.  Even the SONET compatible POS router
> interfaces do not implement true SONET restoration and operations
> support functionality.  The ability to support a subset of the SONET/SDH
> operations support functionality would greatly reduce the support costs
> for extended link 10GbE.
>
> I am pointing out that the existing facilities install base for
> commercial extended link services at 10Gb is based on SONET/SDH
> signaling.  By leveraging that existing install base, the implementation
> costs for extended link 10GbE can be greatly reduced in the commercial
> services
> market.  Those reduced costs will directly impact the magnitude of the
> market penetration of 10GbE.
>
> Thank you,
> Roy Bynum,
> MCI WorldCom
>
> (PS. Sorry for the delay in responding to your message.  I am still not
> on the "speed" reflector.)
>
> Walt Thirion wrote:
>
> Roy,
>
> Are you specifically advocating that 802.3 support not only the same
> rate as Sonet, but that we also support:
>
> "common carrier operations and maintance support must be within the
> protocol. SONET/SDH are the current, and most widely deployed
> transport protocols within the common carrier domain."
>
> Walter Thirion
> Level One Communications
> 512-407-2110

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@transcendata.com
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@earthlink.net