From: Rich Taborek [mailto:rtaborek@transcendata.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 4:58 PM
To: Chang, Edward S; HSSG
Subject: Re: Issues concerning 10GbE speed standards

Ed,

I'm sorry, I mis-interpreted your comment. Kameran did a much better job of
interpreting it than I did and provided a response that I agree with. I was
instead focusing on meeting the Ethernet BER objective, which would
correspond
to the BER after error correction. A separate, and currently unsupported
Ethernet objective (as far as I know) is BER Monitoring. To summarize, BER
monitoring can still be performed at the receiver prior to error correction.

--

"Chang, Edward S" wrote:

> Richard:
>
> BER and error correction are two different issues: BER is a parameter of a
> link specification, while error correction is the application issues.
>
> Like anything else, there are test conditions imposed to the measurement
of
> a parameter to make all measurement taken at the same base-line.
>
> However, for applications, anyone can add as much as error corrections to
> make error free, but it is not a specification.
>
> Ed Chang
> Unisys Corporation.

Ethernet
> PHYs
> such as MAS provide a level of system reliability which can not be
achieved
> through other means in the same cost effective manner. FEC may be used to
> lower
> the relax some optical component specifications in order to lower the cost
> of
> those optical components. This exercise may be new and radical to some,
but
> it
> is clearly not a new and radical technique in the digital communications
> industry (e.g. mobile phones, disk drives, satellite links, etc.)
>
> --
>
> "Chang, Edward S" wrote:
>
> > Kamran:
> >
> > Thanks for very elaborated explanation related to FEC with which I am
not
> > quite familiar.
> >
> > >From you description, quote: " FEC codes are meant for error correction
> > only"; therefore, FEC is one of the error correction scheme.
> >
> > Usually, the bit error rate is defined without error corrections.  The
> > purpose of BER is to measure the reliability of the over-all link, which
> > should not subtract the errors corrected by the error-correction-codes.
> >
> > However, users can chose to correct the errors -- one error, or multiple
> > errors-- based on the reliability measure, BER, supplied by vendors and
> > requirement of the application to implement error corrections.  Error
> > correction is not free, which will use valuable resources.  For very
> > unreliable tapes or disks, error correction is a requirement, however
for
> > well designed semiconductor memory, error correction is not required.
> >
> > The reason I also elaborate the issue is that BER is measured without
> error
> > corrections.  Error correction can not be used to claim the BER is
> improved.
> > Otherwise, we will not have the universal referencing point in
discussing
> > the reliability of a link based on BER.
> >
> > ED Chang
> > Unisys Corporation