Re: Why an optical PHY makes 10GbE a non-LAN protocol

Drew,

I concur.  The only caveat is that carriers want to continue to encourage
innovation as well.  Setting hard interoperability standards too soon, or at too
low of a level, will tend to stifle innovation.  Developing technologies such as
DWDM and optical networking will probably probably continue to be proprietary
within their own end to end domain for a while.  This kind of environment is
what encourages companies like yours to develop technology as you have, and have
a potential market for it.

Roy Bynum
Optical and Data Network Technology Development
MCI WorldCom