Re: Going the distance

Bruce, while I do not dispute your facts, I do question your
conclusion.  Just because some small part of the populace is doing
something does not necessarily require that it be standarized.

As is evident by the statement itself, for those small segments of
the market that have needs beyond those that are standardized, there
are often low-cost avenues that they can persue to fill those needs.

The fact that they are using LX beyond the rated distances even
puts into question if what they have is really a 1000Base-LX link.
It may well be constructed with LX compatible components and be
running the proper protocols, but that doesn't necessarily make it
an LX link.

The requirements for the standards committee are to standarized those
areas of the technology where such effort would benefit the overall
user community, not 1 or 2 users or potential users.  Unless this
market segment can be quantified into a reasonable percentage of
the overall market, I question whether a standarization effort is
appropriate.

Are we talking 5%, 1%, 0.1%, or 0.001% of the market?   At some point
it is necessary to make a cut, and state that the user may create links
beyond these bounds, but that their implementation is beyond the scope
of the standard.

-Ed Grivna