Re: Going the distance

Paul,

I have alsready said that I don't have a problem with a SMF objective of 10 km.
However, one of 40 km may have too much "WAN baggage" associated with it. Please
allow me too suggest the following strategy, which I believe follows Jonathan's
general strategy, but in reverse (easier motions first, more difficult ones last):

First, I ask you to support my proposed ISO/IEC 11801 motion which contains
objectives which are a slam dunk to meet and exceed. If this succeeds, we finally
have a base to start working on real market objectives and can start considering
what the various PHY proposals can do. If it fails, I believe that all subsequent
distance discussion and motions will be painful.

Second, You propose a motion setting a 10 km intermediate reach objective. I will
second it and speak strongly in favor of it. I believe that this objective may be
a slam dunk and the final standard may well specify a support distance of 15 km or
so. However, 10 km would also be my  best choice as an objective.

Third, You propose a separate motion setting a 40 km long reach objective. You
should probably look for a much stauncher and more educated supporter at this
distance from the WAN space than me.

Best Regards,
Rich