Re: Distance objective

Brian,

OK, now we're negotiating!

If I interpret your note correctly, you would not oppose a list consisting of
two items: 100m on MMF, 2km on SMF.

This is now very close to my ISO/IEC 11801 list excluding only the 550 m
number.

I have no problem excluding this number. However, we are a study group
investing higher speed Ethernet solutions for copper as well as fiber. I
believe that my  "100 m for horizontal cabling" objective covers the copper UTP
folks adequately. Your 100m on MMF specifically excludes UTP and the 2km on SMF
certrainly doesn't help it.

What would you say if I deleted the "b. 550 m for vertical cabling" item from
my proposed motion and left  "a. 100 m for horizontal cabling" and "c. 2 km for
campus cabling"? This way the objectives are still tied to ISO/IEC 11801, "a"
covers UTP and MMF, "c" covers SMF.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

BRIAN_LEMOFF@HP-PaloAlto-om16.om.hp.com wrote:

>      Rich,
>
>      Objective 13 in GbE was separate from the objective that explicitly
>      listed fiber types and distance.  This is similar to Bob Grow's
>      proposal for 10GbE, i.e. one objective identical to 13 below, and the
>      other to support 100m on MMF and 3km on SMF.  You are confusing these
>      two objectives. I will not vote for this proposal for the reasons I
>      mentioned earlier.  The distances and fiber types listed below seem to
>      be those that have created the least number of objections, both from
>      PMD vendors and system vendors.
>
>                         100m on MMF
>                         300m on MMF
>                          2km on SMF
>                         10km on SMF
>                         40km on SMF
>
>      Yes, this is a lengthy list, and if we want to shorten it without
>      precluding viable PHY options, we can delete the longer distances,
>      i.e.:
>
>                         100m on MMF
>                          2km on SMF
>
>      I don't feel that this latter list is a particularly challenging set
>      of objectives, but I'm quite confident that most would agree that the
>      goals should be no less than this, and, as you have mentioned, it
>      would not preclude longer-reach  PMDs from the standard.
>
>      Remember, 10GbE is not GbE. The physics is different and we have also
>      learned some things since the GbE objectives were set out.
>
>      -Brian Lemoff
>       HP Labs
>

>      Brian,
>
>      Your argument about vertical and horizontal does not hold water for
>      GbE that
>      essentially used the same objective I'm proposing with the standard
>      supporting
>      distances of 220, 275, 500 and 550 m on MMF for some of its PMD
>      variants. That
>      objective was:
>
>         13. Support media selected from ISO/ IEC 11801
>
>      Did you, or would you have have voted against that GbEobjective?
>
>      - Rich
>
>      --
>
>      BRIAN_LEMOFF@HP-PaloAlto-om16.om.hp.com wrote:
>
>      >      Rich,
>      >
>      >      As so many market surveys have indicated, the vast majority of
>      MMF links,
>      >      including those used for vertical wiring, are 300m and below.
>      Specifying
>      >      100m for horizontal and 550m for vertical, rules out a PMD that
>      can support
>      >      300m being used for vertical cabling. I can't support this
>      motion.  This is
>      >      not a watered-down, generic motion that everyone will agree on.
>      If the
>      >      "horizontal" and "vertical" wording were removed, or if 550m
>      was changed to
>      >      300m (or something less), then it would be more palatable.  In
>      fact, we
> [...]

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@transcendata.com
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@earthlink.net