RE: Going the distance

Howard:

It seems you are proposing a clearly defined objective of 100m/550m/2km only
for premises and campus applications.

Yet, you are saying "There's nothing that says we can't add another
objective for a 10 km link".

However, I can not interpret the flexibility in the wording.  I think, Bob
Grow's wording of "minimum 100 m...." is clearly showing the flexibility in
further extension of distances.

I doubt to propose 550 meter for premises at 10 Gbps data rate is making
sense.  We can rule out all MM fibers including new super MM fibers to reach
550 meter either at 2.5 Gbps or 10 Gbps data rate at any wavelength.  Only
SM fiber will do it.  I do not think users are ready to convert MM fiber to
SM fibers(and also LW laser) within the premises just for "550 meter"
specification.

It implies, within the premises there is ONLY "100 meter" distance available
-- no other options.  If we are in contact with our customers and listening
to be aware of their premises connections, "100 meter only" is unrealistic
restriction to them.

Bottom line is, we can not get 75% vote, if we only provide "100 meter"
distance.
We have to be more flexible to meet the needs of users who consist of a
large number of voters.

Ed Chang
Unisys Corporation
Edward.Chang@Unisys.com