     To: "HSSG_reflector (E-mail)" <stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org>
     Subject: September and AD-HOCs
     From: "Jonathan Thatcher" <jonathan@picolight.com>
     Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:22:36 -0600
     Sender: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@majordomo.ieee.org

Regarding the September meeting in York:

I have had a few calls about the inconvenience of meeting from the 27th through
the 29th (some people don't want to have to fly out on Sat a.m. for a Monday
morning meeting). David Law tells me that we can change the dates from the 28th
through the 30th instead (Due to a cancellation at the hotel, the BIG room is
available). This would overlap with 802.3.ad, which, given the progress of .ad
at the last meeting in Idaho, might not be an issue. It might also be an issue
with any who have already booked flights (I expect this to be unlikely since the
meeting notice has not gone out).

We must make the decision by tomorrow in order for David to complete the
contract with the Hotel. If a change to the 28th through the 30th negatively
impacts you, please send me a note at jonathan@picolight.com. Barring
complaints, we will make the change.

Regarding ad-hoc sign up:

There seems to be some confusion.

Firstly, yes, I am challenging individuals who were not in attendance in Idaho
who are requesting subscriptions to the ad-hoc reflectors.
No, it isn't fun.

Secondly, just because there is an ad-hoc in place (3 of which are only
commissioned until the July meeting) with a reflector to support their work DOES
NOT MEAN THAT THE HSSG REFLECTOR CAN NOT BE USED to discuss similar topics as a
larger body. Just because there is a small group of focused individuals working
on a very specific task doesn't require progress on other fronts to stop. I
remind all that this is not a closed system. Everyone can see what is going on
within these ad-hocs by looking at the web:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/index.html

Similarly, I am confident that each ad-hoc member is watching this reflector. I
have complete faith that new information, concepts, and processes that would
help them accomplish their mission would be more than welcomed.

jonathan

Jonathan Thatcher "jonathan@picolight.com"
Vice President Product Marketing, Picolight Incorporated
4665 Nautilus Court South, Suite 3, Boulder CO 80301
Phone: 303-530-3189 X238; Fax: 303-530-4897