Re: PHYs with 10.000 and 9.584640

Brad,

From an architectural view I am confused about the insistence on a 10.0
Gigabit data rate at the MAC.  I have implemented more than a few LANs
and extended LANs over the years.  I have yet to see one sustain a
modulo 10 transfer rate regardless of the signal rate.   There are
vendors that are implementing a 10GbE that is really an interleaved
8xGbE.  That is not a 10.0 MAC, and it is receiving market exposure.
There is even a very inexpensive LAN version of POS that is being
discussed.

Will not adding PHY speed control at the MAC,  just increase the cost of
the MAC as well as the PHY?  It also adds to the complexity of the chips
that it is implemented through, adding to the delay of deploying a
viable 10GbE.

Optical networking using SMF was not part of a 802.3 LAN environment
when it was introduced.  If I had been part of the GbE task force, I
would have greatly opposed SMF as a WAN implementation without WAN
operational support.  From a future markets, architectures, and
implementations view, that is the real crux of this discussion.

What I have seen is that with an extended optical PHY, 802.3 has
encroached into architectural implementations that can not be supported
long term.  With a 10km SMF PHY, GbE is being implemented across leased
dark fiber without any operational support for these fiber facilities.
This will create a major cost of support that is not traditional with
802.3.

There is a massive market for a non 10.0 MAC rate.  Do you want to
concede this market to existing WAN protocols?  Do you want to see the
WAN protocols invade and take over the intra-facilities LANs?  Without a
~9.5 MAC it will be easier to implement a WAN protocol as a common
enterprise facility than it will be to implement 802.3.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom