Re: Does Ten-Gigabit Ethernet need fault tolerance? (nonredundant NICs)

Roy,

At 9:12 PM 99/7/24, Roy Bynum wrote:

>Does RTFC allow a minimally trained individual to simply plug two fiber T/R
>pairs into the 10GbE interface to implement fault tolerance and if a second T/R
>pair, parallel to the first, is not plugged in the fault tolerance is not
>implemented?  This will be the simplest and most common implementation process.

Yes, this will work, by design.  The rostering algorithm will just treat
the missing path as broken, and press on.  There is no problem with parts
of the segment having non-redundant NICs, although those NICs will be cut
out of the segment if those NICs or their links fail.

Joe