Re: Data rate standards vs internal switching standards

Ariel,

Thank you very much for your response. I knew that some of what I was
writing was not altogether correct, but I wanted to bring the
questions out. You have corrected my some of my assertions and set some
discernable boundaries between preferences and standards.

I would like an additional clarification. In recognizing that the data
clocking standards are at the exposed interface of the data link, does
this mean that the standard applies to the MII between the MAC layer
and the PHY or does it apply more to the PHY?

On the question of how vendors move data from one port to another within
a switch, I was thinking more of the issue of bus and inter-port data
clocking.  Having designed several systems in years past, I recognize
the difference between aggregating data by a factor of ten instead
of 2.  I thank you for clarifying the fact that a modulo 10 reference
is not the optimal, making a it mute issue, except from a marketing view
point.

You agree that current 802.3 technology is very much moving away from
shared segment processes.  This means that the shared segment aggregation
paradigm based on modulo 10 can also be re-examined.  What ever the
results, from working on data systems within the common carrier industry,
I think that it is a great opportunity for 802.3 to "blink", instead
of waiting for "Moore's Law".

As for the OC rate standard, there are several standards for mapping
data into SONET/SDH transports. From an 802.3 view point, the
SONET/SDH standards can be treated as layer 1 functional processes.
From the other side of that argument, the current packet over SONET
(POS) standard for mapping required an additional standard for
inserting a layer 2 functionality between the layer 3 IP protocol and
the layer 1 SONET protocol. 802.3 does not have that requirement for
an additional functionality. In many ways it is more of a question of
how much of the SONET/SDH standards would not used for 10GbE,
depending on the implementation of the interfaces.

I thank you very much for your response.  I think that people such
as yourself will help all of us to find the proper "middle ground"
on this issue of moving 802.3 into expanded markets.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom