Re: Ethernet over WANs

Bill

You mention three choices

1. 10GbE over SONET where a proprietary OAM is done at SONET layer
2. 10Gbe over wavelengths where a proprietary OAM is done out of band in the
optical channel
3. Native 10Gbe which would require some sort of new OAM protocol

I thought 2  and 3 are the same ie you send 10GbE directly over DWDM rings and
then do optical switching etc., rather than electronic switching (as in
SONET). Am I correct? That too me is the key advantage of going directly over
fiber. You save the expenses and headaches of another layer (SONET).

BTW, is this/any other group thinking about standardising OAM for native
10GbE?

Thanks
Rohit Mittal
Engineering, Microlinear Corp.