Re: Data rate standards vs internal switching standards

I think its time the WAN folks consider a call for interest to do the SONET
compatible standard separately from the LAN/MAN efforts.  This would allow
consensus for a 10 Gbs MAC and we could move on.  Devendra Tripathi alluded
to this yesterday, although to give it an "honorable mention" rather than
make it standard.  I'm curious if others would support a separate effort in
hope that both groups could move forward.  I'm not opposed to a WAN
standard, but it seems as though there is no end in sight for a compromise,
that is to choose either a 10 or 9.xyz Gbs data rate.  Some seem to be
willing to sacrifice the simplicity and low cost of Ethernet to get into
the WAN market.  In my humble opinion as an end user of Ethernet equipment,
if we stray from that which has made Ethernet so successful to date it
would negatively affect the future of Ethernet.

Mike Bennett