RE: Proposal for accomodating 10.0000 and 9.58464 line rates

Title: RE: Proposal for accomodating 10.0000 and 9.58464 line rates

Mick,

I don't know what the 802.1D forwarding function is, but I'm assuming that it is a means of receiving on one port and bypassing internal buffering for transmission on another port.  If this is the case, I don't see how the HOLD signal is going to do it for you.  If the receive port is getting data at 10 Gb/s and the transmitting port can only handle 9.58464 Gb/s, then the HOLD signal will not prevent the loss of data.  The only way to guarantee that would be some form of buffering or a re-architecture.

Did I interpret the forwarding function correctly?  If not, then you can let me know what the forwarding function is without telling the whole reflector.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad Booth
bbooth@Level1.com
Level One Communications, Austin Design Center
(512) 407-2135 office
(512) 589-4438 cellular