RE: Proposal for accomodating 10.0000 and 9.58464 line rates

Title: RE: Proposal for accomodating 10.0000 and 9.58464 line rates
No it doesn't bypass internal buffering. That's sort of the point and it is why the HOLD function is going to do what I need while the client based alternatives are not. The HOLD function solves the problem without exporting it. Mick
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@majordomo.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-hssg@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Booth, Brad
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 4:05 PM
To: stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject: RE: Proposal for accomodating 10.0000 and 9.58464 line rates

Mick,

I don't know what the 802.1D forwarding function is, but I'm assuming that it is a means of receiving on one port and bypassing internal buffering for transmission on another port.  If this is the case, I don't see how the HOLD signal is going to do it for you.  If the receive port is getting data at 10 Gb/s and the transmitting port can only handle 9.58464 Gb/s, then the HOLD signal will not prevent the loss of data.  The only way to guarantee that would be some form of buffering or a re-architecture.

Did I interpret the forwarding function correctly?  If not, then you can let me know what the forwarding function is without telling the whole reflector.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad Booth
bbooth@Level1.com
Level One Communications, Austin Design Center
(512) 407-2135 office
(512) 589-4438 cellular