Re: Deconstructing OAM&P

Roy Bynum wrote:

> Rich,
>
> You are correct.  A full duplex Ethernet link is equivalent to the "Path" of a
> SONET/SDH system.  I believe that the new term that is being used in the OIF is
> "Trail".
>
> The "Line" definition within SONET/SDH are equivalent to the WAN service link.  This
> would apply to situations where 10GbE would be put on active DWDM systems or commercial
> SONET/SDH services.  The active "Line" information processing would be done on the
> active DWDM or the SONET/SDH systems, not the 10GbE port or switch.  The "Section"
> function of SONET/SDH deals with physical fiber connections between DWDM or SONET/SDH
> Line Terminating Equipment or regenerators.  Again, this would not be part of the 10GbE
> port or switch processing.

This sounds appropriate. Is a fair comparison that a "Line" is equivalent to a SONET/SDH
transport which could encapsulate the payload of 10 Gbps Ethernet packets? Is the equipment
that commonly converts from one to the other commonly referred to as a bridge or router? If
it is, then this discussion is not relevant to the objectives of the HSSG. The HSSG is
focused on developing 10 Gbps Ethernet optical links to meet distance requirements of up to
40 km.

> Within the SONET/SDH path OAM functionality are several items that would be useful.
> There is a path origination identification that is equivalent to the port MAC address
> of an Ethernet port.  This allows service providers to identify the customer link
> without looking at any of the data.  It will also allow MAC to MAC link identification
> without impacting any of the active traffic.  There is a bit interleave parity function
> that can be used to detect bit errors that also does not impact active traffic.  There
> is a status indicator that can send some status and link received error performance
> information back to the far end port, again without impacting the active traffic.
> There are other items that might also be used.  I will be going over these at the Kent
> meeting.

In native Ethernet, there is no need to burden the Physical layer with overhead
specifically allocated to configuration or link maintenance and its corresponding
management. In general, packet-based LANs and SAN, including Ethernet, meet configuration,
link maintenance and general management requirements by architecting measurement facilities
at the Physical layer and Transport facilities at the MAC layer and above. The reasoning
being that since optical links typically operate at link BER rates much lower than 10^-12,
and that configuration and other management requests are very infrequent. Therefore, a more
efficient use of link bandwidth is to send management packets on an as-needed rather than
synchronous basis. This to me "impacts the active traffic" much less than does a
synchronous management transport alternative.

Please also note the protocol danger of reporting management (e.g. error) information using
the same link which recognized the error, and of using the same and loop/ring protocol to
do so. Much confusion can result, akin to playing the game of "telephone", with a group of
folks arranged in a circle whispering in each others ear. The original transmitter of the
message will typically and eventually receive a corrupted copy of the original message.
This problem is solved by employing switched architectures and higher level-based protocol
transports.

--

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@transcendata.com
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@earthlink.net