From: Jonathan Thatcher [mailto:jonathan@picolight.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 8:40 AM
To: HSSG_reflector (E-mail)
Subject: Open Request to Del Hanson and David Cunningham: Link Model for
1 0 Gig Ethernet

Del and David,

I would like to request, in behalf of the HSSG, a presentation at the York
meeting regarding the applicability of the "Gigabit Ethernet Model (i.e.,
Hanson; Cunningham spreadsheet)" for use in our work on "ten Gig."

This model was extremely helpful to us in 1000BASE-X in discussing
variations to the specifications and resolving issues. I expect, as with any
model, that there are certain underlying assumptions which might have to be
corrected (or at least tuned) for application in 10 Gig. At very least,
there will be new techniques needed to use it for multilevel encoding, as an
example.

Some things to consider:
1. Use of truely single mode LW lasers (vs multiple longitudinal; single
transverse mode)
1.1 Compensated by adjusting K only?
1.2 Chirp?
1.2 Measurement of spectral width (rate of drift of "single mode" vs
characterization of spectra)
2. The inherent difference between rise and fall times
3. Assumptions about ISI penalty maximums for a link
4. Simultaneous support for:
4.1 Serial up to 12.5 Gig
4.2 Parallel / WDM down to ?
4.3 Support of various multi-level schemes
4.4 Channel to channel crosstalk issues
4.6 Assumptions for SMF and high performance BW MMF
5. Replacement of the E/R (per FC proposals)
6. The various recommendations made by Petar Pepeligoski (IBM)

Please let me know if this is reasonable or not in the limited timeframe.

Thanks,

jonathan

p.s. As background, I would suggest possible reference to the analysis done
on this model in the book "Gigabit Ethernet Networking"  Macmillan Technical
Publishing; ISBN: 1-57870-062-0; chapter 9: "The Gigabit Ethernet Optical
Link Model."   :-)

jt

Jonathan Thatcher  "jonathan@picolight.com"
Chair IEEE 802.3 High Speed Study Group
Vice President Product Marketing, Picolight Incorporated
4665 Nautilus Court South, Suite 3, Boulder CO 80301
Phone: 303-530-3189 X238; Fax: 303-530-4897