Re: AW: Deconstructing OAM&P

Ed,

Until 802.3 went full duplex, it could not be used in the MAN or WAN because of
timing limitations.  Full duplex 802.3 does not have collisions like the coax
version, or the half duplex version.  That is why full duplex 802.3 has a higher
operational utilization than half duplex does.  Even then, 100BaseFX had a full
duplex version, yet it did not make a major impact in the MAN or WAN environment.

The reason that ATM did not make at the desktop is because SAR is just too
expensive.  The operations support capability of ATM will continue to be leveraged
in the WAN services environment for a while.  If you could see the number of
startups and other vendors that continuing to do ATM development for the services
industry, you would understand what I writing about.  The problem is that SAR is
still very expensive.  If 10GbE has any kind of operations support capability, ATM
will never see a major OC192C deployment.  I think that this may be why the ATM
forum is working to develop a version that does not have as much SAR in it.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom