Re: Long distance links

Paul,

I believe that we agree more than you think. You state in the first paragraph of
your note that: "Ethernet is just not viable as a mainstream WAN protocol without
some consideration of SONET." I can't agree more with this statement. What I can't
agree to is either of the following:

1) Rubber stamp the SONET/OC-192 PHY as the 10 GbE PHY; or,

2) Wholesale limitations to the objectives and directions of the HSSG by the
imposition of  9.58464 MAC/PLS rate, NRZ encoding efficiency (I assume you mean 0%
overhead, scrambling, etc. since NRZ by itself doesn't say much), and frame
delimiting without special symbols.

If you're seriously interested in either of the above, I believe you'll encounter
significant hurdles in the HSSG.

If you mean what you say about "some consideration of SONET" then I and many other
HSSG members are eager, ready and willing to listen and learn. I speak from
experience here having participated in the recent and very successful development
of the Gigabit Ethernet architecture. I was one of a group of individuals who
introduced Fibre Channel Physical Layer architecture to the GbE HSSG back in 1996.
FC and GbE folks worked together to take elements of Fibre Channel and fit them
into the Ethernet structure. Careful consideration was given to all aspects of
Ethernet including product implementation, support of the installed base,
migration, operations, performance, etc. The HSSG is ready to "do it again" for 10
GbE.

You yourself during the 10 GbE Call for Interest presented
(http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/public/march99/bottorff_1_0399.pdf)
a "Packets on Photons" architecture (page 5) which essentially shows IP carried by
10 GbE carried by Optics. I see no SONET in this picture. I assume that Optics
stands for DWDM systems. I have no problem with this picture. Is it your intention
is to take the "10 GbE" box and replace it with a SONET/OC192 architecture rubber
stamped by 802.3? If not, what exactly are your intentions?

If the 10 GbE box is filled with an architecture developed by 802.3 to meet the
objectives set forth and agreed to by the HSSG, then I'm perfectly happy to
consider supporting the WAN and considering elements of SONET in achieving this
specific objective.

Best Regards,
Rich