RE: Long distance links

I'd like to second Dan's words of wisdom.  The MII (or AUI for
you older folks :-) has provided a means of decoupling a vast
number of physical layer access issues from the media access
layer.  As Ethernet has progressed, the "MAC" has evolved to
be a frame format.  This simplicity lead to the propagation of
100 and 1000 Mbps Ethernet in all kinds of bizarre environments.

By using the MII to decouple the physical layer in 10G Ethernet,
the 802.3 will allow the market to decide which PHY is best
suited for deployment in a given situation.

JR