RE: Long distance links

Hi Bill,

I think 8B10B, MAS, scrambling, etc.. are all PHY issues that need to
be resolved in their proper order. My personal opinion is that we should
at least try to conclude quickly that a 10.0000 Gigabit MAC/PLS
interface with an NRZ encoded, n-bit wide XGMII are within grasp for
concensus. The concept of a "Hold" signal or other such mechanism to
allow PHYs that run at lower speeds to be attached to the MAC should
be running close to concensus.

Now, with that said, I think it is reasonable to expect that we will
have a number of different PHY solutions that reside below the XGMII;

1) WAN PHY running 9.58464 Gbps over SM fiber (High cost, but WAN)
2) LAN PHY running 10.0000 Gbps over SM/(MM?) fiber (Lower cost)
3) Cu PHY running 10.0000 Gbps over short links??? (Really Low cost)

Of course, this is my opinion of the way things should be, so if you
add 1 Pound_British, you can use it to purchase a mug of Ale.

Regards,

Dan Dove
_________    _/    ___________  Daniel Dove         Principal Engineer __
_______     _/        ________  dan_dove@hp.com     LAN PHY Technology __