Re: Long distance links

Ed,

>I still do not see the justification of everyone has to be 9,58... , instead
>of 10.000 and 9.58... for the sake of fairness to both LAN and WAN camps.
We
>are an equal opportunity committee -- I believe.

It may be true that we are an equal opprtunity committee, but the object
agreed upon by that committee states:

* Select only one of 10.000 Gbs or 9.58464 Gbs to standardize as the
MAC/PLS data rate

If you're saying you'd support a 10.000 Gbs MAC/PLS data rate with some
kind of flow control mechanism to get 9.58464 in a WAN PHY then I agree,
but you can't have both data rates unless we change the objective, right?

Mike
Mike Bennett                                   Phone: (510) 486-7913
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory            Fax: (510) 486-7000
Networking and Telecommunications Dept.        pager: (510) 425-6276