Re: Long distance links

Rich,

I have read nothing from you that proves that a 9.548 MAC with scramble encoding will
be inherently more expensive than an 10.000 MAC with block encoding.  On the contrary,
why would an encoding scheme that only adds 4% overhead be more expensive than one that
adds 25% overhead.  For that matter, why would a PHY that does not require the data
processing of each byte with special symbols as part of a block encoding scheme be more
expensive than one that does?  Why would a PHY that adds active overhead every 125us be
more expensive than one that adds active overhead every 1.25ns?  If you are referring
to the cost of the lasers, it is the same cost for both types of PHYs, other than that
the block encoded PHY has a laser with a slightly higher signal insertion rate.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom