Re: Long distance links

All,

True "Ethernet" is coax based.  That is not what is being discussed here.
However; if I am not mistaken, the lowest common denominator for 802.3
data is the "Ethernet frame".  All compatibility issues are based on the
ability to transport 802.3 frames without modification, at whatever
traffic rate or signaling speed.  Issues of scaling 10/100/1000mb 802.3
frames to any other rate are still related to the asynchronous transfer of
unmodified 802.3 frames.  Whether it is a 10.000 MAC or a 9.584 MAC, the
unmodified 802.3 frame remains the same.  Either MAC is still true
"Ethernet" in that context.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom