Re: Long distance links

Roy,

It is certainly possible that your WAN PHY,  whatever it is, OC-192 or otherwise, may or may not be
more expensive that the highest line rate PHY proposed to the HSSG thus far. That PHY has a line
rate of 12.5 GBaud. However, there are a plethora of other formally presented HSSG PHY proposals,
from parallel optics to MAS to WWDM as well as serial PHYs which use alternate techniques to reduce
the line rate to transport Ethernet date at 10 Gbps.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Roy Bynum wrote:

> Rich,
>
> If someone wants to have an expensive LAN only PHY, I will not object.  I just object to the
> assertion that the WAN compatible PHY can only be more expensive than a LAN only PHY at the same
> laser output.  It may be more expensive, then again, maybe not.  Based on the higher data rate
> and the block encoding, the proposed LAN only PHYs will have a much higher total signaling rate.
> Based on that issue only, the proposed LAN only PHYs will be more expensive.
>
> Thank you,
> Roy Bynum
> MCI WorldCom
>
> Rich Taborek wrote:
>
> > Roy,
> >
> > I think you're missing the point that Dae Young is making in support of my comments. Yes
> > indeed the line coding for 100BASE-FX is different from 1000BASE-SX/LX. As a matter of fact,
> > we have two different line codings for 1000BASE standards. 1000BASE uses 4D PAM5 line coding,
> > 1000BASE-SX/LX/CX uses 8B/10B.
> >
> > For 10 GbE we have 4 groups of PHY proposals, with some groups having multiple individual
> > proposals. The point of my note was to PREVENT a direction to FORCE a SPECIFIC line code on
> > 10 GbE PHYs, especially in the LAN. If a specific 10 GbE WAN PHY wants to support a specific
> > line code, go ahead and propose it. Just don't encumber 10 GbE PHYs in general with it.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Rich
> >
> > --
> >
> > Roy Bynum wrote:
> >
> > > Dae,
> > >
> > > The line coding for 100BaseFX is different from 1000BaseSX/LX, that did not prevent a
> > > change.  Why should it prevent a change with 10000BaseXX?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Roy Bynum
> > > MCI WorldCom

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@transcendata.com
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@earthlink.net