Re: Why not have both?

Henry:

Probably the juncture between a LAN PHY and a WAN PHY is going to be a
router/L3-switch rather than a bridge. Howard's model gives us a good
architectural reference which could be simplified latter to a buffering
repeater like or included in a router.

Paul

At 10:59 AM 9/9/99 -0700, Henry Ngai wrote:

>Howard,
>
>I believe you are right in shooting for two different PHYs. However, I do
>not think bridge is a good way to join the two MACs and PHY together. Unless
>we impose the implementation of a bridge with all its overhead on the WAN
>link. A better approach to explain the simplicity of such a device may be a
>buffering repeater.
>
>As a buffering repeater, there is no need to worry about how STA works in
>this environment, nor is there need for bridge MIBs.
>
>Rate differences, in case of over 95% utilization at the 10G side of the
>network, can be handled by XOFF protocols.
>
>Henry Ngai

Paul A. Bottorff, Director Switching Architecture
Enterprise Solutions Technology Center
Nortel Networks, Inc.
4401 Great America Parkway
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185
Tel: 408 495 3365 Fax: 408 495 1299 ESN: 265 3365
email: pbottorf@NortelNetworks.com