RE: Why not have both?

Title: RE: Why not have both?

I disagree that we need to add "exposed interface" as a qualifier to the pacing mechanism objective.  One reason is that the word "exposed" within the context of 802.3 implies a connector which is not going to exist for the 10GMII.  The other reason is that the pacing mechanism has not been selected, so there is no reason to limit its location within our objectives.  I agree that in an implementation of an integrated MAC and PHY the need for a pacing mechanism may be moot, but that is implementation specific.

Thanks,
Brad