Re: Long distance links

Bill,

I believe that the "customer empowered networks" you are referring to, are those
where the enterprise data customer is leasing the dark fiber from a utility or
service provider.  Because there isn't a WAN compatible PHY available for GbE,
it requires a complete 802.3 data switch to regenerate the signal for long haul
systems. It means that the enterprise data customer has to get an agreement from
the utility or service provider to provide collocation space for the customer's
data switch.  It also means that the customer provides his own network
management of the fiber facility.  Over long distances, that could mean
regularly dispatching someone to the various sites to support the collocated
non-carrier data switches.  While it is technically feasible to do this, over a
period of time, this could get very expensive for enterprise data customers.
Overall cost of ownership of this type of implementation does not make it very
attractive.  I do not think that there will be too many enterprise data
customers that will be doing this for very long.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom