Re: Why not have both?

I fully support Howard Frazier's simple and eloquent proposal and rationale for two distinct PHYs.

I believe that this compromise will result in the best possible optimizations for a 10 GbE LAN PHY, leading to the
broadest possible market in the that space. At the same time, optimizations and consideration of existing equipment and
architecture in the WAN will also lead to the broadest possible market in the that respective space.

Charge!!!

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Howard Frazier wrote:

> >From the various statements posted to this reflector over the past
> few months, it has become obvious to me that the LAN and WAN
> markets have different needs when it comes to the physical layer
> of a network interface. I would also say that it is apparent that
> the HSSG is at an impasse.  I doubt very much that either the
> LAN devotees or the WAN devotees will be able to
> persuade their opposite numbers to abandon their well thought out
> and closely held beliefs and settle on a single Physical Layer
> definition that will serve both markets.
>
> Therefore, I encourage the HSSG to consider the development of
> two distinct PHYs for 10 Gigabit Ethernet.  Let's call one the
> LAN PHY, and the other, the WAN PHY.  Each of these specifications would be optimized for the intended application.
>
> As others have already stated, it is possible to build a relatively
> simple, low cost, low complexity device that will bridge these
> interfaces together.  A layer diagram of such a device is shown in
> the attached PDF file.
>
> Referring to the diagram, on the left side, we have a cloud labled
> "LAN infrastructure".  This is made up of the switches, routers,
> hubs, NICs, firewalls, gateways, servers, desktops, etc, etc,
> that communicate via Ethernet.  On the right side, we have a
> cloud labled "WAN infrastructure".  This is made up of the
> transponders, multiplexors, regenerators, amplifiers, etc,etc,
> that conform to SONET specifications.
>
> In between these two clouds, we have a bridge.  In the context
> of 802.3 standards, this is an 802.1D bridge, but in practice,
> it could have more or less functionality than required by 802.1D.
> The primary purpose of this device is to hide all of the details
> of the underlying LAN and WAN PHYs from each other.  The
> PHYs can use completely different signaling methods, they can
> use different physical media, they can run at different rates.
> They can also have different management attributes.
>
> I assert that the cost of such a device is dominated by the cost
> of the PMD (the optical components) associated with the
> WAN interface.  I can't throw dollar figures around, but I can
> state with conviction that the sum of the costs for the LAN PMD,
> the LAN PHY, the LAN MAC, the Bridge, any associated memory,
> any associated microprocessor, the WAN MAC, and the WAN
> PHY, and associated management, is about 1/25th of the cost
> of the WAN PMD and its associated clock oscillator.  That's
> right. Relatively speaking, the WAN optics cost about 25 times
> as much as the rest of the components in the box combined.
>
> That tells me that such a device will definitely not be a barrier
> to the use of 10 Gigabit Ethernet in the WAN, and it might even
> be considered an "enabler", because it can connect to the LAN
> infrastructure just about anywhere you wish.  Of course, since
> I am suggesting that we specify a WAN PHY as well as a LAN
> PHY, it is possible to build an interface for an "Enterprise" LAN
> [...]

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@transcendata.com
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@earthlink.net