Wan Phy Requirements

Since we have a consensus that we are going to have a seperate WAN PHY, I thought
I'll start a new thread where we can discuss the WAN PHY requirements.

First do we really need  a seperate framing structure for 10GbE WAN. Why do we not
just use the OC192, as is. I don't think the penalty is too much. And we can
certainly cut down time-to-market and costs. For instance, we can use the same
Framer and concentrator chips that are currently being used/ developed for OC192. I
think the main reason why we were leaning towards a "lite" framer was to make it
acceptable to the LAN people.

Roy, I do not underastand some of your points below. The SPE will be allowed to
float. Are you just fixing the H1,H2 bytes. I think they have to vary, plus we need
H3 also. Plus these bytes are in the Line overhead, so we anyway end up using the
section overhead (or at least a portion of it). Granted we might not need the DCC
and K1,K2 but how much overhead do they really consume?

I also do not understand what you mean when you say " the service providers will
insert their own active information in the line/section overheads". The line and
section overhead functionality would be embedded in the ethernet frame or higher
layer protocols. Are you thinking about splitting the ethernet frame and putting
the non-user data in the line/section overhead.

I have other comments about the BER, jitter etc. requirements. But first, we need
to clarify the framing..

Thanks
Rohit Mittal
Microlinear, Engineering