RE: Why I think a variable date rate PHY is important for LAN or WAN

Bill,

I absolutely agree that we have to support the installed base. However, with
trunking/link aggregation being standardized, you can easily trunk 2 to 4
1Gig segments to achieve the performance between 1 Gig and 10 Gig.
Considering the develoment cost, equipment deployment costs, etc., it just
doesn't make sense to me to target less than 10 Gb/s.

Walt