Re: Why I think a variable date rate PHY is important for LAN or WAN

Bill,

I echo Walt's sentiments and will add that 10 GbE PHY development may
well yield
alternatives beyond simple binary signaling to transport 10 Gbps of
Ethernet
data over long distances. Two of the existing proposals, MAS and WWDM
have the
potential for doing this. It may be that different amplifiers and/or
regenerators are required to make these links work, but I view that as a
small
expense for the value it provides in using existing fiber at higher data
rates.

An analogy is what DWDM has accomplished for standard WAN links where
fiber is not available (yeah... it's a bit of a
stretch...) Whodathunk that one could transmit 1 Gbps of information
across twisted pair?

Best regards,
Rich

--

Walter Thirion wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I absolutely agree that we have to support the installed base. However, with
> trunking/link aggregation being standardized, you can easily trunk 2 to 4
> 1Gig segments to achieve the performance between 1 Gig and 10 Gig.
> Considering the develoment cost, equipment deployment costs, etc., it just
> doesn't make sense to me to target less than 10 Gb/s.
>
> Walt

Richard Taborek Sr.   1441 Walnut Dr.   Campbell, CA 95008 USA
Tel: 408-370-9233     Cell: 408-832-3957     Fax: 408-374-3645
Email: rtaborek@earthlink.net