Re: Supporting Installed Fibre

Jay,

In order to support the installed fiber the baud rate at the optical
fiber must be of the order of the bandwidth of the fiber. The latest
proposal of Transcendata in Montreal uses a baud rate of 5 Gbaud/sec.
Hence, although it gets rid of the 4-WDM optical muxes it would
appear to be more difficult to use with the installed fiber (unless
it is limited to shorter links).

All the proposals that want to maximize the reuse of the installed
optical fiber use in one way or another WWDM optical muxes. These
proposals presently are (I apologize if I forgot one):

    1) PAM-5 + scrambling at 1.25 Gbaud/sec using 4-WDM
    2) PAM-2 + scrambling at 2.5 Gbaud/sec using 4-WDM
    3) PAM-2 + 8b/10b at 3.125 Gbaud/sec using 4-WDM

I am not an expert in pricing curves, but it seems to me that the most
expensive item in the link is installing new fiber.

Jaime E. Kardontchik
Micro Linear
San Jose, CA 95131
email :kardontchik.jaime@ulinear.com