Re: PMD evaluation criteria

Vipul,

I never posted this to the HSSG reflector or web site, so here's the text
version:

Slide 1 - Evaluation Criteria

- Rate ability to meet the broadest set of applications & distance/fiber
type objectives
- A working prototype of a PHY is available by completion of Sponsor
Ballot (meets MDI specs)
- Relative cost comparison - short/long term
- Qualitative Reliability (e.g. MTBF, etc.)
- Undetected frame error rate at the MAC client IF
- Time to standardization, Time to market
- Multiple vendor supply available by completion of Sponsor Ballot
- Any new PHY proposals should address this criteria

Slide 2 - My 2 cents

- The criteria is in no particular order other than that generated on a
slide
- Several items were non controversial, others were not. The
controversial ones: reliability, multi-vendor
- The list is independent of any implied, suggested, or future objective
to specify two PHYs as an HSSG objective
- Brian Lemoff, HP, suggested that the criteria be used qualitatively by
voters to determine their own support for particular PHY alternatives
- I chaired the meeting with co-chair Walt Thirion. No sub-task-force is
established, but if one is, I will abdicate the throne to Walt due to my
personal support for one specific PHY proposal. Walt is perceived as
being more neutral.
- The list is NOT closed, please feel free to discuss it over this
reflector. Glaring omissions are invited
- Each item will be clarified in time. I am assuming that the criteria
will be voted on at a later date (Nov?)

Best regards,
Rich

--

Vipul Bhatt wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Where can I get a soft copy of the PMD Evaluation Criteria we derived
> at York? Thanks,
>
> Vipul
>
> Vipul Bhatt
> Finisar Corp.
> 1308 Moffett Park Drive
> Sunnyvale CA 94089-1133
> (408)548-0813
> (360)397-8963 eFax
> vbhatt@finisar.com

Richard Taborek Sr.   1441 Walnut Dr.   Campbell, CA 95008 USA
Tel: 408-370-9233     Cell: 408-832-3957     Fax: 408-374-3645
Email: rtaborek@earthlink.net