Re: 10 GbE en MASse PMD, Historically...

Geoff,

I stand corrected. I knew this statement wasn't exactly correct, but I decided
to spare myself the research at 2:00 AM this morning and finish the note.
Thanks for your update.

I also agree on your 1000BASE-T opinion. However, it is important to note that
there were multiple (5?) new modulation and signaling proposals aired early in
1000BASE-T. I don't recall if any of them were all that firmly rooted in
existing standards or products. With due respect to all 802.3ab committee
members, this was a heck of an engineering effort, a leveraging of sound
technologies, and clearly an effort endorsed by many 802 professionals.

Best regards,
Rich

--

Geoff Thompson wrote:

> Rich-
>
> 100BASE-TX was not a case of "engineered brand new technology"
>
> We stole it fair and square from FDDI (TP-PMD). Perhaps you were thinking
> of 100BASE-T4 or 100BASE-T2 both of which were new technology but didn't
> make it in the market.
>
> You could argue 10BASE-T either way. There was extensive proprietary
> product out there (LattisNet-UTP) and the group had already done work on 1
> Mb/s StarLAN (1BASE5) but the signaling was a new design, the last one that
> we have done that was a success. The jury is still out on 1000BASE-T.
>
> At 02:51 AM 11/19/99 -0800, Rich Taborek wrote:
> >> 1.  Historically, Ethernet has utilized the optical
> >>     technologies developed by at least several companies
> >>     with some key fielded product.
> >
> >That may well be true for Ethernet, but only because all Ethernet optical
> >technologies to date have been leveraged from other standards. In other
> instances,
> >such as 100BASE-TX and 1000BASE-T, 802 has engineered brand new
> technologies to
> >field a standard. History and tradition are all well and fine, but
> certainly not
> >the rule for Ethernet. Note also that WWDM is a new technology, not
> fielded in
> >general, and certainly not by many companies.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving,
>
> Geoff
> |=========================================|
> | Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
> | Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
> | Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
> | 4401 Great America Parkway              |
> | P. O. Box 58185                         |
> | Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
> | Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
> | Fax:   +1 408 988 5525                  |
> | E-Mail: gthompso@nortelnetworks.com     |
> | Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
>  http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html

Richard Taborek Sr.   1441 Walnut Dr.   Campbell, CA 95008 USA
Tel: 408-370-9233     Cell: 408-832-3957     Fax: 408-374-3645
Email: rtaborek@earthlink.net