Re: Hari

Hi Dan,

Please allow me to poke a bit into your comments (below):

"DOVE,DANIEL J (HP-Roseville,ex1)" wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> Actually, I have to disagree with your relation of HARI to the TBI.
>
> I believe that the un-specified SERDES interface is a more appropriate
> model as it is;
>
> a) Differential
> b) High Speed
> c) Asynchronous (ie: Clocks are derived rather than sent discretely)

All the above remains the same for each Hari lane as well as Hari, which is the
combination of all lanes as a parallel-serial bus

> However, the industry might have gained from standardization of that
> interface. If you are aware (and I am sure you are) there are now AC
> coupled and DC coupled versions of the SERDES interface that just
> complicate board designs.

It sounds like Hari Electrical has chosen AC coupling only. In that case, DC
coupling would not be compliant nor work, especially if caps are required at
both ends. I didn't see this in the Kauai presentations, but I believe that this
is part of the Hari baseline. Other should feel free to challenge or support
this assertion.

> I support the HARI concept, although I believe that we need to work on
> it a bit to understand the impact of splitting the 8B10B codes onto
> separate channels will have.

Really the only major issue is how to deskew the lanes and where the deskew
function is performed. 8B/10B codes really can not/should not be split into a
finer granularity than 10-bit code-groups. I believe that you did not intend
otherwise. So the only remaining issue is whether or not there is any
requirement to block code-groups beyond a granularity of one on each
channel/lane. Hari proposed for 10 GbE and InfiniBand blocks with a granularity
of one code-group. My prejudice is to perform lane deskew in the SerDes. This
would result in an additional item (d) in your list above which would be
pertinent to Hari SerDes but not the TBI.

> As for Roy's concerns about that interface complicating things, I
> believe that concern is resolved (or should be) by the fact that HARI
> would at most be an optional interface.

Agreed.

Best regards,
Rich