RE: HARI Systems Design

Joel and all:

I agree with Joel that HARI may bring in some benefit from theoretical logic
design point of view; however, it violates many of the high frequency, and
cost effective circuit design practices we have been implementing
successfully in the products.

I believe we should bring up more circuit design issues to the table to
further evaluate the right way to utilize HARI -- is it a "MUST",
"ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION", "NICE TO HAVE" or "NOT REALLY NEEDED"?

I understand that the reason HARI was proposed is that we like to extend
high frequency PC runs (beyond 2.5 Gbps) to over 20 inches to distribute
multiple channel data through a back plane to multiple locations within the
equipment.  From this objective, HARI is doing the right thing to take the
skew away by re-timing and deskewing the parallel runs from logic design
point of view.

However, it violates a lot of high-frequency circuit design rules; as a
result, it may make HARI a unreliable block in a system.

Furthermore, additional circuit, HARI, is working against our successful,
Ethernet practice of keeping it simple, and low-cost -- unless we prove HARI
is a "MUST" for 10GbE product, it should be an optional block.

For an extremely high frequency PC layout, the path-length should be kept as
short as possible.  The PCB characteristic impedance has about +/- 20%
tolerance which will cause waveform distortion being severe enough at 2.5
Gbps data rate to cause excessive errors.   Even the skew is minimized by
deskew circuit, the waveform distortion by reflection will cause excessive
JITTER by altering the bit-timing information of each bit (bit-cell timing
near 300 ps), which provides the deskew circuit a wrong data.  This is one
of the reasons that high frequency transceiver and PLL are preferred to be
in one chip.

Over 2.5 Gbps, and at 20" PC run length, the signal amplitude will be
drastically reduced for each inch the signal travels to cause the
destination data without sufficient Signal-to-Noise ratio -- inviting for
excessive errors.  In addition, the rise time will be drastically increased
to add further jitter to cause wrong data into deskew circuit.

The higher the data rate, the capacitive and inductive coupling noise are
higher which are  linearly proportional to data rate, and the parallel
length (20" parallel is excessive at 2.5 Gbps).  A ground plan between two
adjacent signals may reduce crosswalk but not necessarily eliminate it -- no
absolute assurance of eliminating the crosswalk effect.  Furthermore, the
radiation issues will much tougher to resolve.

The PC runs through the backplane have to go through connectors to create
waveform distortion caused by impedance mis-match of connectors.  At 300 pc
cell time, any glitch could be the sauce  of errors.

Unfortunately, circuit problems are very difficult to debug, which show up
as excessive random  errors.  Some time, it takes over six months to find
it, then there is no simple cure.

I further agree with Joel, that HARI will unnecessarily use up the most
valuable area of a PC board; namely, high frequency area.  I also agree that
HARI will add more power consumption to what we are struggling to reduce.
All of these are counter productive, unless HAIR is "MUST" for the product.
Perhaps, HARI can be an option feature.

The system architecture are flexible.  There are so many ways to achieve the
same result. I am not sure that to integrate all channels which are
inherently distributed in one big chip is the most cost-effective way to do
it, considering all the potential problems.  I would think a modular
approach with scalability may prove to be more cost-effective and more
flexible to use from architecture point of view.

I would hope some one will present test data to assure the performance,
before we have to vote with some reservations.

Regards,

Ed Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
EChang@NetWorthTech.com