Re: HARI Systems Design

Edward

I agree with Joel on this.  I am presently designing 2 GBS traces on FR4 and see no
problem with 3.125 GBS or there-abouts.

As Joel has indicated one must pay careful attention to the geometrys, further one
must use good connectors that stay at 50 ohms up to several Ghz.

Of special intrest:
    1.    relieve ground/power planes under all component pads to the height
        required for the pad to look like a 50 ohm line.
    2.    relieve the ground/power planes far enough out to eliminate fringing
        capacitance to a unimportant consideration, or relieve the ground/power
        planes all the way through and depend on the fringing capacitance.  It may
        be necessary to use a field solver to simulate it or to make a model and
        measure impedances.
    3.    relieve via ground/power layers far enough away to keep them from
        being less than 50 ohms.
    4.   pay careful attention to via stubs.  Blind vias and the like may be
required.
    5.    pay careful attention to power line bypassing, simulate on-chip
capacitance,
        package capacitance, PCB capacitance and discrete bypass capacitors.

Do these all well and you should be ok.  Note that the Hari interface was designed
to meet the need to provide a geometry that works using FR4  to 10 GBS with
real-world PCB traces.  The frequency dependent loss and reflections at 10 GBS
raw would be nearly impossible to compensate.  At 3.125 GBS we still have a
workable solution.

Ron Miller