Re: 10 Gbit PHY, HARI

Rich,

I recognize the technical merit of Hari, particularly from the backplane side of the
PCB.  As a former system designer, I have seen that the tighter the density, (in this
case, the closer the transceiver and the PHY (PCS/PMA/PMD) is) then the lower the
tolerance requirements, and the higher port count per PCB, and thus the lower the
manufacturing cost per port.  Many of the newer technology, lower cost vendors, that
bring their equipment to me for evaluation, are using that concept.  It may seem novel
to some, but it is a technique that was used years ago before the PCB manufacturing
and device technology improved so that it was not needed for the current given signal
frequencies.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum