RE: Give me serial 10GbE or.......

Joe, Pat, Richard and All:

Usually the implementation issues are left for each company to optimize its
design to achieve the most cost-effective goal, which is part of the
incentive for competing in the marketplace to "make it even better, and
cost-effective than others".  The market will determine the most
cost-effective approach and products.  Our job is to provide market the
opportunities to prosper, while we are setting standard for
"interoperability", but not to interfere the market dynamics.  I believe
this is always the goals for all standards, and HSSG is no exception.

Therefore, we should ask ourselves, what is HARI's role in this hot debate?

1. Should we introduce HARI to everyone as a tool for those need help,
without any binding?
2. Should we introduce HARI to market as an industry supported approach, but
not a standard, as GBIC, 10-bit Interfaces in early days?
3. Should we introduce HARI as a part of the IEEE 802.3ae standard, because
it is crystal clear that standard can not be completed without it?

As a component user, I need the interoperability to have multiple vendors
with competitive prices and services, but I also need the freedom to
innovate the products.

I believe we all have the obligation to the committee to carefully evaluate
and understand the issues, then vote correctly for the objective of our
committee.

For the time being, I like to be well informed through discussions and
laboratory data to prepare for my vote.

Regards,

Ed Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.