Re: PAM-5 at 1.25 Gbaud

Rich,

I wholeheartedly support your claims. I did not go to York: it should
teach me not to miss any meetings.

I attach a new pdf spreadsheet for MMF with the corrections. The
first one, regarding the "swing" of a PAM5 signal was easy to make:
the new entries under"electrical signal power @ Rx" show now the
same total swing for both PAM-5 and PAM-2 signals under similar
conditions (for instance, using 4-WDM).

I included the PAM-5 penalty and ISI loss under the same row
because the net effect of both is similar: they reduce the distance
between the levels.

I also corrected the penalty due to the use of PAM-5 to reflect your
4.1 dB value (optical). In this area I still have to do some learning.

The third grouping of four entries concentrate the inputs needed to
calculate the final quantity of interest, the relative electrical SNR.

Del,

Do you agree on this issue of PAM-5 penalty ? A tutorial
explanation, if possible, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your comments.

Jaime

Jaime E. Kardontchik
Micro Linear