Re: PAM-5 at 1.25 Gbaud

Jaime,

I apologize and retract my statement about the PAM5 loss vs. PAM2 being 4.1 db
optical. The actual figure is much closer to 4.2 db. Assuming white Gaussian
noise, for M-level PAM the multilevel optical power penalty is given by the
following equation: Penalty = 10 log10((M-1)/sqrt(log2M)). For M = 2, 4, 5, 8,
the penalty is 0, 3.3, 4.2, 6.1, ... dB.

Optical link modeling is not my area of expertise. However, I have consulted
with multiple optics experts to validate this result. You may be well served to
do the same.

As far as link modeling goes I will once again suggest that you obtain a copy of
Hanson/Cunningham link model and propose modifications to it to properly assess
multilevel signaling link penalties. A tremendous amount of committee work has
already gone into this model to support multi-gigabit operation. I am very
hesitant to switch over to a new model which addresses only a single PMD
proposal which has garnered little support in the HSSG.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Jaime Kardontchik wrote:

> Rich,
>
> I hoped that you would come with a retraction.
> My comments are placed within your email.
>
> Jaime
>
> Rich Taborek wrote on Jan 27, 2000:
>
> > Jaime,
> >
> > My basic disagreement with your spreadsheet is that you seem to be simply
> > summing optical intensity penalties, with little regard for how the penalties
> > interact. In addition, some of these penalties are not quite accurate.
>
> You would seem to have a special theory and simulation results
> that you do not want to share with us. Please, be concrete.

> > For example, for PAM5 loss, you note a penalty of 6 db optical. My understanding
> > is that this penalty is an SNR penalty whose value is more correctly 4.1 db
> > optical.
>
> Now you are concrete. And you are wrong. The PAM-5 penalty
> amounts to 6 dB optical signal power and 12 dB electrical signal
> power.
>
> You refer to the model presented by Del Hanson and David
> Cunningham in York. In their presentation at York they do not
> mention this issue at all. The reason was that this issue had
> already been discussed and agreed upon in previous meetings.
> See, for example, David Cunningham's presentation in Montreal,
> July 99.
>
> > The "swing" of a PAM5 signal at the receiver is of approximately the
> > same amplitude from the lowest PAM5 level to the highest as it is for a PAM2
> > (binary signaling) 0 -> 1 transition.
>
> Here we agree.
>
> > It is incorrect to simply subtract even
> > 4.1 db from the link budget due to PAM5 loss, especially in light of coding gain
> > which can significantly increase effective SNR.
>
> Again, if you consider that something is incorrect,
> please, describe concretely the right way of calculating
> electrical SNRs and how to add coding gain.
>
> I described in great detail the way that I calculate
> the SNR for a PAM-5 system in the presence of
> coding gain. See my presentation in Kauai, Nov 99.
> Part II of that presentation, "BERs and RINs", deals
> on how to include coding gain in the calculation of
> the effective SNR. Part IV of that presentation,
> "Coding Gain", presents simulation results that
> verify the correctness of the theoretical models
> developed in Part II.
>

> > In York (September '99), Del Hanson proposed modifications to the GbE link model
> > to extend the model to be used for 10 GbE PMD development. I also presented some
> > issue modeling issues.
>
> I went through your presentation in York. In this
> presentation you do not present any concrete modeling
> information. On the contrary. In your opening slide
> you emphasize that the 1 GbE Link Model is NOT part
> of any standard. And in your closing slide you state
> that the development of a Universal Link Model for
> 10 GbE could turn into a "Holy Grail" effort.
>
> This does not look to me as a support on your part
> for any rational model.

> [...]

Richard Taborek Sr.         Tel: 408-845-6102 or 408-370-9233
Chief Technology Officer                   Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                         Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.            Email: rtaborek@earthlink.net
Santa Clara, CA 95054          Alt email: rtaborek@qedinc.com