Re: Re: Membership on an 802.3ae Reflector

In a message dated 2/8/00 4:00:08 AM, gthompso@nortelnetworks.com wrote:

>You may wish to add the following sort of text...
>"Membership in the 802.3ae Task Force is granted to those who attend
>meetings. Additional subscriptions to the reflector are at the whim and
>discretion of the chair."

Geoff,

This looks to me as if the Senate would have declared that only the people
that go to Washington DC and attend its sessions have the rigth to know what
is going on in the Senate.

The community of people interested in the 10 GbE standards is far more larger
than the 100-150 privileged persons that are able to attend the meetings.
Even within the companies that regularly send representatives to these
meetings there are far more engineers that are not able to go ($$$), both
senior and junior. These engineers are involved in Ethernet projects. Perhaps
they are not working now on the 10 GbE project, but many think that 10 GbE
could be their next project. For them the Reflector constitutes a valuable
source of information and professional education. I think that they are
entitled to know.

Why make them feel bad and second class ? The rules for subscribing should be
fairly automatic, as I think they were till today. And we should assume that
no one has bad intentions in subscribing to the Reflector.

Jaime E. Kardontchik
Micro Linear
San Jose, CA 95131