RE: Membership on an 802.3ae Reflector

Under IEEE rules, the entire world population could attend a standards
meeting, participate, shape the debate and vote.  It is not a practical
scenario but in an open system, it is the theoretical ideal.  In a physical
meeting, the debate sometimes takes directions that are inappropriate.  It
is the function of the chair to control this debate and limit excess.  The
web reflector case is no different.  The need to police a reflector in
addition to the other tasks of chairing a Task Force may be burdensome but
it's part of the job.  If we need to lighten the burden, we could appoint
"reflector chairs" in the same way we pass the chair in a physical meeting.

If we limit participation in the reflector, we run the risk of creating a
mis-perception.  It is a well-known form of "gerrymandering" to move
discussions behind closed doors in government.  This has often been done in
democracies when the formal debate chamber adopts complete openness.  By
having an "open" meeting but a "closed" reflector we run the risk of
creating this perception.  We also dis-enfranchise many who can not afford
the cost of participation by travelling to the meetings.

The strength of IEEE Standards efforts lies in the openness of the system
and adherence to a set of rules.  Lets keep our reflectors open.

Brian

Brian MacLeod
Project 101, Inc.,
PO Box 14347