Re: Bounced message from Colin Mick <ckm@mickgroup.com>

Hi Colin,

and 'unsubscribe' messages sent mistakenly to the reflector (instead of
majordomo@majordomo.ieee.com as they should be) I turned on the reflector
configuration option 'administrivia'. This option means that the reflector will
divert any e-mails it thinks are administrative requests, such as messages that
appear to be 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' requests, to the list owner rather
than to the reflector. The only problem is the algorithm it uses to determine if
a message is an administrative message. Words this algorithm makes 'taboo'
include the word 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' anywhere within the first 10
lines. Also 'taboo' is a new line within the first 10 lines starting with the
word 'get' followed by one word followed by a carrage return as this could
indicate an administrative 'get' request. It was this that caught you out, you
happened to have a new line start with the word 'get' followed by one word (in
your case it was 'get worse.<CR>') within the first 10 lines.

Now I have had the reflector with this option turned on for a few weeks now and
it certainly has worked well with several 'subscribe' and 'unsubscribe' requests
diverted to me. I was even remarking to somebody yesterday in an e-mail how well
this option was working with lots of correctly intercepted 'subscribe' messages
and not as single false positive. Well, I spoke too soon didn't I.

What I am gong to do now is work with the IEEE office and see if I can get the
list of 'taboo' words changed to just 'subscribe' and 'unsubscribe' as I believe
any other type of administrative type of request being incorrectly sent to the
reflector is rare. The only question is can we have this configuration just for
this 802.3ae reflector or would the change impact all reflectors. Now
unfortunately this one is a balance between 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe'
messages getting to the reflector against some pain in getting things set up
just right. I will keep you all posted on this one.

Regards,
     David Law

Colin Mick <ckm@mickgroup.com> on 09/02/2000 23:09:44

Sent by:  Colin Mick <ckm@mickgroup.com>