RE: PAM-5, what are your BERs ?

Hi JR:

Even the FDDI optical specification at the specified minimum input power,
the BER is 2.5 x10^-10.
Only after complain by main frame companies, including Unisys which I
represented at that time, the modified BER clause was added to 10^-12 at the
input power of 2 dB above the minimum input power. The twisted paired FDDI
was never specified at BER of 10^-12, which was assumed to be 2.5x10^10.

At the early stage of the Ethernet copper specification, the BER was 10^-8
adopted from Telecommunication industry.  A year later, the BER was modified
to 10^-9.  I recalled two years ago, the BER of 1000BASE-TX was specified at
10^-10, to which I recommended the change to 10^-12 in order to be
consistent with the 1000BASE-SX/LX BER; however, the 1000BASE-TX BER
improvement was not accepted.  The first time, the Ethernet adopted the BER
of 10^-12 was 1000BASE-SX/LX, mainly because the optical components adopted
from Fibre Channel have BER of 10^-12.  At high data rate, and file transfer
applications, the BER of 10^-12 or better is necessary, but not an option.

Regards,

Edward S. Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
EChang@NetWorthtech.com