Re: Unified PMD vs. Unified PHY

Roy,

Let's please keep this on the reflector so everyone can follow
along with the discussion. This way, others with similar concerns
or questions won't be kept in the dark.

A question has been raised regarding how tightly coupled the
XAUI and 64b/66b encodings are or need to be. Several people,
including me, have voiced the opinion that there shouldn't
be any requirement that 64b/66b uses the encoding of XAUI.

As for the expense in transfer rate, I'm a little confused. I
believe Howard Frazier pointed out that over WAN, the 64b/66b
encoding scheme is somewhat less efficient (3%?) than a
scrambled encoding. I agree this is an issue worth discussing
but it is a PCS issue, not a PMD one.

Look at a serial PHY. From the MAC to the PCS is an XGMII.
Some implementations may choose to extend this XGMII using
XAUI but this interconnect is optional. The PCS should not
require any features of the XAUI. The PCS encodes the MAC
data from the XGMII then this data is serialized and driven
onto the fiber. The encoding scheme within the PCS is the
factor which determines the required baud rate on the fiber.

Because we chose to make as an objective the support of a
WAN compatible PHY, we chose a baud rate of 9.95328 G for
the PMA/PMD. To share this PMA/PMD with serial LAN solutions
(in order to reduce the number of discreet PMA/PMDs in the
standard), we'd like to choose an encoding scheme for the
LAN which shares this baud rate (or something close enough
that works). We're kind of working this problem backwards.

We'd also like to have a common encoding scheme (or as
common as possible) between the WAN and the LAN. For both
of these reasons, we're looking at 64b/66b and scrambling.
Both of these can support a common baud rate necessary to
reduce the number of PMA/PMDs and a common encoding scheme
necessary to support the results of Jonathan's survey.

Ben