Re: 10 Gigabit EMI

Jonathan Thatcher wrote:

> It is my opinion that the coding will be an important, but second order
> effect. My opinion is that the rise times are a second order effect. My
> opinion is that the actual bit rate is a second order effect. I know, I
> know. You can bring me Maxwell's equations and show me the math that
> demonstrate the direct relationship between these parameters and the
> emissions.

Jonathan,

I feel that the intensity of the discussion on EMI on the reflector
did not give you enough time and you got carried away with the
above statement. I am sure that you have in your office Howard
Johnson's book on "Black magic, high speed digital design" and
that you, as many of us, read and know this book by heart.

I do not think you will have many followers to your statement.

> Up to Gig E, we have had the luxury (admittedly, with a fair amount of
> pain) of having a "convenience based, user friendly" box design. With 10
> Gig, have we finally hit the wall?

Well, I fully support you here: keep the baud rate in the Copper
traces at 1.25 Gbaud and your yield will go up exponentially...

Jaime

Jaime E. Kardontchik
Micro Linear
San Jose, CA 95131