RE: 8b/10b and EMI packaging

JoeL and all:

The coding and EMI is related to certain extent, but EMI is not the main
criteria for code design.  The main objective of a code design is a maximum
data rate, and a reliable data recovery, which deal with issues of BER,
base-line wander, clock recovery, minimum transitions per a bit time, and
perhaps some other protocol issues.

After a code meets all these requirements, the frequency spectrum of the
data stream is usually pretty much randomly mixed without a predominant
peaking frequency to cause an specific EMI problem.  Very seldom, if any, a
designer has go back to tweak the code to avoid a specific EMI problem,
except the naked twisted pair.  The unshielded twisted pair, EMI issue is a
fundamental radiation issue, and it is unfair to blame the coding technique.

I believe we all agree that a coding technique should not add any
unnecessary EMI headache.

Regards,

Edward S. Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.