Re: 64/66 control code mapping

Rich-

I would like to second a statement that I believe you implicitly made
below.  8b/10b has been around for quite some time, and there is a
significant body of knowledge cataloged on its characteristics.  It seems
that the best approach is to leverage this knowledge base unless the code
is proven to be deficient.

JR

At 04:17 PM 3/15/00 -0800, Rich Taborek wrote:

> [...]
>
>XAUI is proposed as an XGMII extender. As such, it's primary application
>will be
>to provide implementation flexibility in the form of an extended interconnect
>between Ethernet PHY sublayers. In general, only one such extension is
>typically
>employed in a given implementation. Some of the goals for the XAUI interface
>(in
>no significant order) are as follows:
>
>- Low pin count
>- Low power
>- Jitter containment/control
>- Clock tolerance compensation
>- Fast reset/sync
>- Use of common PCB materials
>- Low cost
>- Error containment/control
>- Fast packet delineation
>- Relatively long distance
>- Ability to handle local and medium skew
>- Protocol independence
>- PMD independence
>- Good signal integrity
>- Low EMI
>- Ability to transport LAN and WAN data
>- Simplicity
>- Familiarity
>- Scalability
>- Low/no intellectual property protection
>
>The proposed XGMII is a 37-bit clocked interface in each direction and is
(I'll
>take a gamble here) widely accepted within 802.3ae. The XGMII fails
>miserably in
>meeting some of the above goals including low pin count, skew handling, low
>power, jitter containment and long distance. Extending the XGMII by using a
>single self-timed serial link in each direction does not address the goals of
>jitter containment, signal integrity, low EMI and any appreciable distance.
>Therefore, the universal answer for XAUI (at 10 Gbps) is a parallel
arrangement
>of (4) serial lanes. This is also widely accepted in 802.3ae as evidenced by
>the
>Albuquerque 8B/10B-based XAUI/XGXS, SUPI, SLP and 64B/66B proposals. However,
>there is one key distinction between 8B/10B and SUPI, SLP and 64B/66B. That is
>that 8B/10B is a short block code and all competing codes (for XAUI) are
>relatively long block codes. It is this characteristic that helps 8B/10B meet
>the above goals in a much more optimized manner than its competitors.
>
>Short vs. Long block codes and Striping:
>
>Long block codes including SLP, SUPI and 64B/66B are designed for use over
>single serial lanes. The "striping" of these codes over a single serial
lane is
>straightforward and coding efficiency becomes important as high data transport
>rates are required. This happens to be especially true at the intersect of 10
>GbE and OC-192 insofar as reuse of existing 10 Gbps opto-electronics and
>support
>components is concerned. However, XAUI is a 4-lane interface requiring the
XAUI